Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just call me Martha Stewart

Before Piper was born, I had decided that I would try to make most of her baby food myself. This way I'd know exactly what's in it, I'd spend less money, and perhaps most importantly, I'd cut out all the waste that commercial baby foods create. Plus, I won't have to spend my time reading labels in the grocery store worrying about possible allergens that might be in the baby food (who would have thought there'd be soy in rice cereal?). Since she'll start eating "real" food next month, I wanted to begin stockpiling. We now have little ice cube portions of sweet potatoes and butternut squash in the freezer! Here's a look at the process I followed with the squash I put away this morning:



First, I baked it and scooped out the insides.




Then I put the squash in my fancy food processor (Thanks, Tammie!) along with some breastmilk to thin it out.


Almost ready!



Once it's pureed enough, I filled up two ice cube trays, covered them with foil, and set them to freeze.


The finished product: a bagful of veggies! Obviously, this is a picture of the sweet potatoes and not the squash. I wanted to post this before the squash was ready.


The best part of this is that I only threw away the skins and seeds. No plastic containers or glass jars! I even washed and reused the aluminum foil (Grandmom would be so proud). If I was only so good as to raise my own veggies like my sister-in-law Tisha!

1 comment:

  1. So you want to make food for MC too! You could start your on little home business :)

    ReplyDelete